What's the ONE key to selling your art? I'll give you a hint: It's not the latest software or marketing tactic. I believe that the very foundation of successful marketing is … identifying your ideal buyer. Going through the exercise of fleshing out your ideal buyer profile will do more for your art business than any other activity. Want to know how? That's what I'm talking about today in the Art Marketing Project Podcast.
Here's why you need to create your ideal buyer profile and hang it on the wall in front of you:
- Knowing your ideal buyer is the foundation of successful marketing
- If every business waited to create a “target market” until after they “had enough buyers to know what is common among them” no business would ever succeed
- When you think of a specific person, it's easier to create marketing that connects
- It will help you organize the content on your website
- You can create a plan for where you'll sell your work—online and/or in person
- You'll know which social media outlets to focus your efforts on
- It will be a relief to know that you don't have to try to sell your work to everyone
How to go about creating your ideal buyer profile:
- You get to decide who your ideal buyer is (based on information and data that you collect)
- Describe this person based on what you know now and revise as you learn more
- Keep asking questions of yourself and your buyers to get to know more about this “ideal buyer”
- Try questions like: What do they do for a living? Why are they interested in my work? Where would they be shopping for my work? What's the value that it brings to their lives? How do they live their life; what do they do? Ask questions that would help you understand how to make decisions around finding them and attracting them to your business.
Your action step
Create a crappy first draft of your ideal buyer profile! Use the worksheet below. After you follow through on this, I would love to hear from you about it. You can visit my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram — or send me a direct message.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, please consider it so you don't miss any episodes. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
I would be super appreciative if you would leave me a review on iTunes, too. Those reviews help others find my podcast and I honestly enjoy reading your feedback. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!